认识CCC的领导人们 / Meet the CCC Leadership

Podcast Audio:

CCC的领导人们: 玫芬,爱乐,玉兰
CCC leadership: Maven, Alexa, Maggie

Audio Transcription:

玉兰:大家好!我们是汉语对话社的领导。
Hello everyone! We are the leaders of the Chinese Conversation Club.

玫芬:欢迎收听CCC的第一集交谈录音。
Welcome to the first episode of CCC’s conversation recordings.

爱乐:我希望咱们这个播客可以继续下去。
I hope these podcasts of ours can continue [to be made].

玉兰:没错。今天我们想要介绍一下我们自己,让你们认识CCC的领导人们。谁先说?
That’s right. Today we would like to introduce ourselves and let you get to know the leaders of CCC. Who will go first? 

玫芬:我可以先说。 我是会长, 我叫刘玫芬。
I can speak first. I am the president, my name is Liu Meifen.

玉兰:“会长”的英语意思是什么?
What does “huì zhǎng” mean in English?

玫芬:哦对,意思是 “president”.
Oh right, it means “president”.

爱乐:嗯,还有你的名字怎么写?
En, and how do you write your name?

玫芬:刘备的刘,玫瑰的玫,芬芳的芬。
“Liu” is the same as Liu Bei, “Mei” is from “rose”, “Fen” from “fragrance”.
(t/n: explaining which characters are used in a name by giving examples of common words or famous people that also use those characters)

玉兰:好, 好。我可以第二个说。我是副会长,在英语是 “vice-president”。 叫文玉兰,中文的文,玉兰花的玉兰。你呢?
Okay, I can speak second. I am the “fù huì zhǎng”, or “vice-president” in English. My name is Wen Yulan, the “Wen” is from the word for “Chinese”, and “Yulan” is from “magnolia flower”. And you?

爱乐:我是财务长那是“treasurer”, 我叫爱乐,我爱你的爱,快乐的乐。
I am the “cáiwù zhǎng”, that is “treasurer”, my name is Ai Le, “Ai” from “I love you”, “Le” from “happy”.

玫芬:很高兴认识你。
Nice to meet you!

爱乐:哈哈对啊。我也很高兴认识你。
Haha, right, nice to meet you too!

玉兰:接下来,我们有一些小问题要问你。
Next, we have some quick questions for you.

爱乐:好。
okay.

玫芬:来吧!
Bring it on!

玉兰:你的专业是什么?
What is your major?

玫芬: 我的专业是语言学还有中文
My major is linguistics, and also Chinese.

爱乐:那很酷。现在我的专业是中文。玉兰,你呢?
That’s cool, currently my major is Chinese. And you Yulan?

玉兰:我的专业也是中文,但是明年希望我是英文研究生。其实,现在我是学士后学生。
My major is also Chinese, but next year I hope I will be a grad student in English. Actually, right now I am a post-baccalaureate student.

爱乐:好的,下个问题。你学中文学了多长时间了?还有你为什么学中文?
Ok, next question. How long have you been studying Chinese? And why do you study Chinese?

玫芬:我学中文学了两年左右了。
I have been studying Chinese for about 2 years.

玉兰:真的吗?我也学了两年了。你为什么开始学?
Really? I’ve also been studying for 2 years. Why did you start?

玫芬: 自小以来,我很喜欢学别的语言,但是我不会说的。开始学中文的时候,我觉得很有意思,学中文快速地成我最喜欢的爱好。玉兰,你呢?
Since childhood, I have loved learning other languages, but I couldn’t speak them. When I started learning Chinese, I found it very interesting. Learning Chinese quickly became my favorite hobby. Yulan, what about you?

玉兰:一开始,我只想学新语言。因为我喜欢音乐和唱歌,所以我想学一门有声调的语言,给我自己挑战。
At first I just wanted to learn a new language. Because I like music and singing, I wanted to learn a tonal language to give myself a challenge.

玫芬: 爱乐,你呢? 你为什么开始学中文?
Aile, what about you? Why did you start learning Chinese? 

爱乐:我学中文因为我觉得汉字不但漂亮而且很多汉字有有意思的事。
I learn Chinese because I think Chinese characters are not only beautiful, but also many Chinese characters have interesting matters. (T/N: backgrounds, features).

玫芬:我同意!除了学中文以外,你们还有什么爱好?
I agree! Besides learning Chinese, do you have any other hobbies?

爱乐:除了中文以外。。。我还喜欢看电影和看书!我很喜欢看惊悚片。
Besides Chinese… I also like to watch movies and read books. I really enjoy watching thriller movies (jīngsǒng piàn).

玫芬:惊悚片是 “thriller movies” 对吗?
“Jīngsǒng piàn” is “thriller movies”, right?

爱乐:对。
Correct.

玉兰:哇,很酷。我不喜欢可怕的电影。
Wow, that’s cool. I don’t like watching scary movies.

爱乐:真的吗?那你有什么爱好?
Really? Then what are your hobbies?

玉兰:我的主要爱好是音乐。除了音乐以外,我也喜欢跑步和看书。
My main hobby is music. Besides music, I also like running and reading books.

玫芬:我也很喜欢看书!如果我有空,我总是看书。最近,我学做饭,我觉得那也很有意思。
I also love reading books! If I have free time, I will always read. Recently I’ve been learning to cook. I think that’s also really interesting.

爱乐:做饭是很好的生活技能。
Cooking is a good life skill.

玫芬:是啊。
Indeed.

玉兰:好,最后的问题。 CCC的哪个部分是你最喜欢的?
Ok, last question. Which part of CCC is your favorite?

玫芬:什么意思?
What do you mean?

爱乐:那什么活动呢?
Such as “what activity”?

玉兰: 对啊,比如,看电影,打麻将,书法,绘画。。。我最喜欢看电影,但是教室的椅子不太舒服。。。
Yeah, for example, watching movies, playing mahjong, calligraphy, painting… My favorite is watching movies, although the seats in the classroom are not that comfortable…

玫芬:啊,我同意。我喜欢学书法,但是我最喜欢的部分是跟大家聊聊儿。
Ah, I agree. I like learning calligraphy, but my favorite part is chatting with you all.

爱乐:我最喜欢学书法。很难,可是很有意思。再说书法很美。我希望我们会写书法,我觉得很多人喜欢。
My favorite is learning calligraphy. It’s difficult, but very interesting. Moreover, calligraphy is beautiful. I hope we will write calligraphy, I think many people will like it.

玉兰:你说得对,书法一定是特别的。
You’re right, calligraphy is indeed special.

爱乐:所以,除了看电影和书法以外,参加CCC有什么好处?
So, apart from watching movies and doing calligraphy, what are the benefits of participating in CCC?

玉兰:还有,可以找人帮你做功课。
Also, you can find someone to help you with your homework.

玫芬:对。再说,可以认识新朋友。
Right. Moreover, you can make new friends.

爱乐:没错!好吧,我们下次见!
That’s right! Okay, we’ll see you next time!

都:再见!
Bye!

Chinese Conversation Club Logo

CCC Leadership

Chinese Conversation Club leaders Maven Neumiller (president), Maggie Wettergreen (vice-president), and Alexa Agbayani (treasurer), are students in the second year of the Chinese program at WWU.

学画中国画 – Chinese Painting Workshop

4 panel painting of bamboo, flowers, and hummingbirds

Come learn to paint!

The CCC will be hosting a FREE Chinese Painting workshop on Monday, February 13th! Painter Chen Shuguang, Associate Professor of Fine Arts at Shandong University of Art & Design, will be joining us virtually to give live instruction in ink brush painting. Basic art supplies will be provided, but we encourage you to bring your own if you have them.

译文

来学水墨画!

2月13号, CCC主办免费的水墨画讲习班!画家陈淑光,山东工艺美术学院副教授,会直播教学中国水墨画。我们提供基本画材和画具。如果您有自己的画材和画具,也欢迎您自带。

Details:

DateMonday, February 13th
Time4:30 pm
LocationMiller Hall 239
CostFREE

Chinese Conversation Club

WWU’s Chinese Conversation Club is a place to get together with other language learners to improve their Mandarin speaking skills.

Chinese Conversation Club Winter Meetings

Chinese Conversation Club Logo

Welcome back for Winter Quarter classmates! This quarter the Chinese conversation club will be meeting regularly on Mondays from 4:30 – 5:30pm, typically in Miller hall 131 if it is available. Anyone interested in practicing their Mandarin Chinese is welcome to attend, whether you are a first-year student, a grad student or just someone doing some independent study. Activities during regular meetings will vary. We play games, watch videos, or occasionally have guest lessons from native speakers.

Monday January 23rd we will be learning some techniques of Chinese calligraphy from professor Claudia Liu. Art supplies will be available, but if you have your own materials we recommend you bring some.

In order to stay up to date with the latest club news and announcements about exact meeting locations, we recommend that you join the club discord and say hello: https://discord.gg/cPeMHcAHEK

Chinese Conversation Club
Chinese Conversation Club

WWU’s Chinese Conversation Club is a place to get together with other language learners to improve their Mandarin speaking skills.