理財建議 / Financial Advice

Podcast Audio:

Audio Transcription:

同學們、教授們、各位聽眾朋友,大家好!歡迎收聽這個小播客的最後一集。
Fellow students, professors, and dear listeners, hello everyone! Welcome to the final episode of this small podcast. 

今年我很高興有這個機會認識了很多同學,聊天,並錄製播客。
This year, I am very happy to have had the opportunity to meet many classmates, chat, and record podcasts. 

這個最後一集和別的不太一樣。這一次只是我跟您說話,所以,請讓我再介紹一下我自己。
This last episode is a little different from the others. This time, it’s just me talking to you, so please allow me to introduce myself once more.

我是文玉蘭,目前是一名自由職業者,擔任網站開發人員和顧問。
I am Wen Yulan, and I am currently a freelancer working as a web developer and consultant. 

拿到學士學位後,我先在兩家公司工作,然後成為一名自由職業者,之後重返大學學習中文。
After obtaining my bachelor’s degree, I first worked at two companies before becoming a freelancer, and later I returned to university to study Chinese.

最近,和同學的討論讓我想起,許多年輕的大學同學沒有任何理財經驗。
Recently, discussions with my classmates reminded me that many young university students have no financial experience. 

因此,作為一名在這些方面有一定經驗的老學生,我想分享一下我的經驗和建議,希望對您有用。
Therefore, as an older student with some experience in these areas, I want to share my experiences and advice, hoping it will be helpful to you. 

因為這些都只是我的意見,所以在做任何投資之前,必須做好研究。
Since these are just my opinions, you must do thorough research before making any investments.

課程裡我們學過一些常見的理財方式,比如把錢存在銀行裡,投資股票,買房子,等等。
In the course, we learned about some common financial management methods, such as depositing money in the bank, investing in stocks, buying a house, and so on. 

但並不是每種方法都適合學生。以普通大學生為例,他們買房合理嗎?
However, not every method is suitable for students. For example, is it reasonable for a typical university student to buy a house? 

對學生來說,開始理財最簡單、最合理的方法就是在銀行開立儲蓄帳戶。但並不是每個賬戶都是一樣的。
For students, the simplest and most reasonable way to start managing finances is to open a savings account at a bank. But not all accounts are the same.

如果銀行的利息太低,那麼仍然可能因為通貨膨脹而賠錢。
If the bank’s interest rate is too low, it may still result in a loss due to inflation. 

這一點我早就知道,但我去年才剛剛開設了一個高息賬戶。我真的後悔沒早點開設。
I knew this early on, but it was only last year that I finally opened a high-interest account. I really regret not opening it sooner.

我的會計好朋友告訴我,“生活節儉很好,但也得聰明地投資。”
My good accountant friend told me, “Living frugally is good, but you also need to invest wisely.” 

 除了開高息帳戶以外,他還建議購買存款證,因為利息可能高一點。
Besides opening a high-interest account, he also suggested buying certificates of deposit, as the interest rates might be higher. 

在股市上,他說相比炒股,投資共同基金風險較低。
Regarding the stock market, he said that compared to trading stocks, investing in mutual funds carries lower risk.

最後,我想提一下債務和信用卡。很多人都害怕信用卡債務,我也是。
Finally, I want to mention debt and credit cards. Many people are afraid of credit card debt, and I am too. 

但擁有和使用信用卡可以幫助你建立良好的信用評分。當你將來想要買房或者買車的時候,這一點很重要。
But having and using credit cards can help you build a good credit score. This is important when you want to buy a house or a car in the future. 

另外,使用信用卡不但可以保護銀行訊息,而且有的卡還有獎勵。
Additionally, using credit cards can protect your bank information, and some cards even offer rewards. 

所以我建議您把信用卡當作借記卡使用,永遠不要花你沒有的錢,每月完全付清賬單。這樣做就好了。
So, I suggest you use your credit card like a debit card, never spending money you don’t have, and always paying off the balance in full every month. Do this and everything will be good.

因為時間關係,我的播客到此結束。感謝大家的聆聽和支持,祝大家學業進步、理財順利、身體健康!謝謝。
In the interest of time, my podcast ends here. Thank you all for listening and supporting me. I wish you success in your studies, good luck with your financial management, and good health! Thank you.

Maggie Wettergreen

Maggie Wettergreen is a student in the second year of the Chinese program at WWU. This podcast was written as part of a class assignment.

男女平等的问题/ Gender Equality Issues

Podcast Audio:

Audio Transcription:

玉兰:大家好,欢迎来到我们的小播客!我是文玉兰,今天我们有两位特别的客人。欢迎国先生和国太太。
Hi Everyone, and welcome to our little podcast! I’m Wen Yulan [Maggie]. Today we have two special guests. Welcome Mr. Guo [played by 国静 Anna ] and Mrs. Guo [played by 民育苹 Wuyi].

国太太: 谢谢你请我们来。认识你我们很高兴。
Thank you for inviting us. It’s nice to meet you.

国先生: 嗯。
en…

国太太: 哎呀,老公你也来说几句。
Hey, husband, you should say something too.

国先生: 你好,很高兴认识你。
Hello, nice to meet you.

玉兰: 您俩结婚多久了?
How long  have you two been married?

国太太: 今年已经二十五年了。
This year will be 25 years.

玉兰: 哇,好长时间。您们都做什么工作?
Wow, a long time. What do you both do for work?

国先生: 我是工厂里的工人,一辈子都在工作。
I am a factory worker, I’ve been working my whole life.

国太太: 而我现在是医生。
And now I am a doctor.

玉兰: 那么,在您们家里,男女平等吗?
Then, in your household,  are men and women equal?

国先生: 差不多,但是大部分家务都是我做的。
Pretty much, but I do the larger part of the household chores.

国太太: 是的,好几年来都是我在照顾孩子。孩子毕业以后我想轻松轻松。
Yes, for many years I was taking care of children. After the kids graduate I want to relax.

国先生: 你轻松轻松,而所有的劳动都是我来做的。
You relax, and I do all the labor.

玉兰: 是吗?有的人说女人应该在家里做所有的家务,照顾孩子,而男人应该出去挣钱。您觉得呢?
Is that so? Some people say that women should do all of the housework at home, take care of the kids, and men should go out and earn money. What do you think?

国先生: 有道理, 因为在古老的年代男人出门去打猎,所以现在挣钱的大多是男人。
It makes sense, because in ancient times men went out to hunt, so now mostly men earn money.

国太太: 但是现在不是古老的年代。你看现代女人可能成为医生。
But now is not ancient times. Look, in the modern era women can become doctors.

国先生: 当医生是当医生,但是男人比女人强壮多了!你连我一半的工作都做不了。
Working as a doctor is well and good, but men are much stronger than women! You couldn’t even do half of my job.

国太太: 什么意思?我看起来你每天都只看电视,跟朋友去公园打太极拳,晚上你就喝酒醉了。谁是一个医生?谁是养我们的孩子?
What’s that supposed to mean? I see you every day just watching TV, going to the park to do Tai Chi with your friends, in the evening getting drunk. Who is the doctor? Who raised our kid?

国先生: 那些活动都很重要!你怎么都不懂?
Those are all important activities! Why can’t  you understand?

玉兰: 好好好,国太太,别生气啊,很多男人都有这样的想法。
Ok, ok, ok, Mrs. Guo, don’t be angry, lots of men have this same way of thinking.

国太太: 常见不等于是对的。现在社会不再重男轻女。
Commonplace doesn’t mean it’s correct. Nowadays society does not favor boys over girls.

玉兰: 您说得对。国先生,改革开放以来,越来越多的女人选择去工作。这不是一件好事吗?
You’re right. Mr. Guo, since the reform and opening up, more and more women have chosen to work. Isn’t this a good thing?
(t/n: “Reform and opening up” refers to the period of Chinese economic reform in the late 1970s and early 1980s where more access to foreign trade and travel became available.)

国先生: 一直以来都是这样,但我知道我的国家缺少老师,所以…我并不讨厌。
It’s always been like this, but I know there’s a shortage of teachers in my country, so… I don’t hate it.

国太太: 哇,你太落伍了。
Wow, you are so out of date.

玉兰: 那么,您们有孩子吗?是男孩还是女孩?
Then, do you have children? Boys or girls?

国先生: 我们有一个儿子,我们为他感到骄傲。他刚开了一家店,他是个模范男人。
We have one son, and we are very proud of him. He just opened a shop, and he’s a model man.

玉兰: 哦,很厉害!是一位业主, 真酷。
Wow, that’s awesome! He’s a business owner [proprietor], that’s really cool.

国太太: 对啊,他是最好的花商。他和他的妻子一起经营这家店。
Yeah, he is the best florist. He and his wife run the shop together.

国先生: 他们互相合作。他负责设计广告,而妻子负责买卖花卉。
They mutually support each other: he designs the advertisements and his wife buys and sells the flowers.

国太太: 哦?听起来你说我们的儿媳妇做所有的重活。
Oh? It sounds like you’re saying our daughter-in-law does all the heavy lifting.

玉兰: 听起来他们相处得很幸福。我觉得时间差不多到了。谢谢您们来给我们这个机会认识您们的家庭。
It sounds like they get along very happily. I think time is about up. Thank you for coming and giving us this chance to get to know your family.

国太太: 别太客气了!
Don’t be so polite!
(t/n: a common response to “thank you”, similar to “you’re welcome” or “no thanks necessary”)

玉兰: 那么,最后,我们总是对听众朋友说 “下次在见”. 可以吗?
Then, lastly, we always give our listeners a “see you next time”. Can we?

国先生: 好的。
Ok.

都: 下次在见!
See you next time!

Anna Holmes, Wuyi Walters, & Maggie Wettergreen

Anna Holmes, Wuyi Walters, and Maggie Wettergreen are students in the second year of the Chinese program at WWU. This podcast mock-interview was written as part of a class assignment.

出国旅游经历/ Experience Traveling Abroad

Podcast Audio:

Audio Transcription:

玉兰: 大家好,欢迎来到春学期第一次的播客。 我是文玉兰在这儿欢迎我们的新同学邱文颢。
Hello everyone! Welcome to our first podcast of spring quarter! I’m Wen Yulan [Maggie] here welcoming our new classmate Qiu Wenhao.

文颢:大家好,我是邱文颢。霍邱的邱,中文的文,崔颢的颢。认识你们很高兴!
Hello everyone! I’m Qiu Wenhao; “Qiu” as in the province Huoqiu, “Wen” from “Chinese” and “Hao” like Cui Hao. Nice to meet you!
(t/n: explaining which characters are used in a name by giving examples of common words, places, or famous people that also use those characters)

玉兰:这次我认为我们可以谈论我们不同的旅行经验。怎么样?
This time, I thought we could discuss our different travel experiences. How does that sound?

文颢:可以!听起来好玩儿。
Sure! Sounds fun.

玉兰:你去过哪些国家,城市呢?
Which Countries and Cities have you been to?

文颢:我去过中国,主要是北京,香港,和青岛!
I’ve been to China, mainly Beijing, Hong Kong, and Qingdao.

玉兰:那,哪个城市是最有意思的?
So, which city is the most interesting?

文颢:对我来说,最有意思的是北京。
For me, the most interesting was Beijing.

玉兰:哦,听说北京有很多有意思的景点。是真的吗?
Wow, I’ve heard Beijing has a lot of interesting tourist attractions. Is that true?

文颢:是啊!我去了长城,紫禁城,和别的很古老的地方。
It is! I went to the Great wall, the Forbidden City, and other ancient places.

玉兰:很多,哪个给你留下最深的印象?
That’s a lot, which left you with the deepest impression?

文颢:长城给我留下很深的印象,因为那里的风景很美。
The Great Wall left me with the deepest impression, because the scenery there is very beautiful.

玉兰:长城这么大,你怎么上去的?需要门票吗?
The Great Wall is so big, how did you get to the top? Did you need entrance tickets?

文颢:我们坐了升降椅。我不知道有没有票,因为我参加了旅行团。
We took a chair lift. I don’t know if you need a ticket because I went with a tour group.

玉兰:我们的大学的旅行团,对吗?你们的旅行团团费包括了什么?
Our university’s tour group, right? What did your tour group fee include?

文颢:是的。包括了游览北京三天,从北京到青岛的高铁票,然后 在青岛留学五个星期的学费,住宿费。
Right. It included sightseeing in Beijing for three days, the high-speed rail ticket from Beijing to Qingdao, and then five weeks of tuition and accommodations in Qingdao.

玉兰:那在青岛的生活呢?那里的海洋大学的校园怎么样?餐厅的食物好吃吗?
Then how about life in Qingdao? How’s the campus at Ocean University? Is the dining hall food good?

文颢:海洋大学的餐厅是非常好的。很便宜,也比西华大的更好吃。
Ocean University’s dining hall is really good. Very cheap, and tastier than at Western’s.

玉兰:有一道最喜欢的菜吗?
Did you have a favorite dish?

文颢:我每天吃饺子!一盘是十块钱。
I ate dumplings every day! A plate is 10 yuan.

玉兰:哇! 真的很便宜!其实,我今年夏天也打算去 青岛。关于哪里去,什么做,你有什么建议呢?
Wow! Really cheap! Actually, this summer I am also planning to go to Qingdao. Do you have any suggestions about where to go or what to do?

文颢:我建议你去青岛的海边儿。然后,必须去李村的购物中心买东西。
I suggest you go to Qingdao’s seaside. Then, you must go shopping at the mall in Licun.

玉兰:好,谢谢你的建议,我一定会去看一看。
Okay, thanks for your suggestion, I will definitely go take a look.

文颢:你去过什么国家?你最喜欢的是哪一个?
What countries have you been to? Which one is your favorite?

玉兰:我已经去过日本,和韩国。要选最喜欢的一个很难回答。因为它们都很棒,但是我觉得日本更有意思。
I’ve already been to Japan and Korea. It’s hard to choose which one I like better because they’re both great, but I think Japan is more interesting.

文颢:为什么?
Why?

玉兰:因为我去过日本的一些比较小的城市,人不是那么多,但风景很美,可以让你好好休息。
Because I went to some relatively small cities in Japan. There are not too many people, but the scenery is beautiful; it can let you have a good rest.

文颢:喔,真的?哪一个小城市是你最喜欢的?
Oh, really? Which small city is your favorite?

玉兰:一定是一个叫做高山的城市。那里有许多独具特色的传统建筑。
It’s definitely a small city named Takayama. There is a lot of unique traditional architecture there.
(t/n: The city name “Takayama“ in Japanese is written as 高山 , which is pronounced “Gāoshān” in Chinese.)

文颢:你是参加旅行团去游览的吗?
Did you join a tour group to go sightseeing?

玉兰:没有,我自助游。
No, I traveled on my own.

文颢:喔,很酷啊!你给别的想自助游的游客什么建议?
Wow, how cool! Do you have any advice for tourists who want to travel independently?

玉兰:可以,我觉得,去外国旅行时候,千万不要只去大城市和著名的地方,一定要找到更当地的景点。
Sure, I think that when traveling to a foreign country you absolutely must not only go to big cities and famous places, you must find more local attractions as well.

文颢:好的,谢谢!
Okay, thanks!

玉兰:好,时间差不多到了。 谢谢你参加我们的播客。
Okay, time is almost up. Thank you for joining our podcast.

文颢:没事儿!谢谢你请我来。
No problem! Thank you for inviting me.

玉兰:当然,我们给 听众朋友一个 “下次见” 吧!
Of course, let’s give our listeners a “see you next time”!

文颢:谢谢大家!
Thanks everyone!

都:下次见!
See you next time!

Nevaeh Qiu & Maggie Wettergreen

Nevaeh Qiu and Maggie Wettergreen are students in the second year of the Chinese program at WWU. This podcast interview was written as part of a class assignment.

在华盛顿州旅行 / Traveling in Washington

Podcast Audio:

Audio Transcription:

玉兰:大家好,我是文玉兰。欢迎来到我们冬学期的最后一期播客!这一次,我们为大家准备了一段关于旅行的小对话。同学,你想介绍一下你自己吧?
Hello everyone, I’m Wen Yulan [Maggie]. Welcome to our final podcast of the winter quarter! This time, we have prepared a small conversation about travel for you. Classmate, would you like to introduce yourself?

山:谢谢你请我来。大家好,我叫山,我是从中国来的!我们认识很久了吧?
Thank you for having me. Hello everyone, my name is Shan and I am from China! We’ve known each other for a long time?

玉兰:对啊,我们认识了差不多一年了,可是从来没见过面,我们算是老友吧!我很高兴去年夏天我们在华州一起花了两周旅行。
Yes, we’ve known each other for about a year, but had never met in person. We can be considered old friends! I’m so glad we spent two weeks traveling together in Washington last summer.

山:嗯,是真好玩儿!
Yeah, that was really fun!

玉兰:那是你第一次来美国,对吧?
That was your first time in America, right?

山:对啊!之前,我从来没去过外国。
Correct! Previously, I had never been to a foreign country.

玉兰:那么,你第一次来美国,就选择来华州?为什么?
So, your first time coming to the US, and you chose to come to Washington State? Why?

山:那是一个很有意思的问题。。。
That’s an interesting question…

玉兰:我以为你想来看看我啊。
I thought you wanted to come and see me.

山:对对,当然,这是我主要的目的! 哈哈。 再说,纽约或者旧金山是很热门的城市,对吧?
Yes, of course, this is my main purpose! haha. Besides, New York or San Francisco are very popular cities, right? 

玉兰:对啊,我听说,很多旅行者第一次来美国就是来到这些城市,所以你选择来华州真的很特别。
Right, I heard that many travelers –when they come to the United States for the first time–come to these cities, so it is really special that you choose to come to Washington State.

山:对对,但我觉得华州比那些城市更有意思。
Yes, but I think Washington is more interesting than those cities.

玉兰:为什么?
Why is that?

山:大自然是特别的,而且化州不太大,城市也不太拥挤。
The nature [here] is special, and Washington is not too big and the cities are not too crowded.

玉兰:我知道你的意思,比方说,我们去西雅图的时候,环境很热闹,可是跟中国大城市比,算不上人山人海。
I know what you mean. For example, when we went to Seattle, the environment was very lively, but compared with big cities in China, it was not such a sea of people.

山:这样我很喜欢。那天我们走来走去,看过很多景点。
I like that very much. We walked around and saw many attractions that day.

玉兰:我记得你两小时后就已经饿的发火。
I remember you were already hangry after two hours.

山:别提了,我的肚子咕噜咕噜了!果然,民以食为天啊!
Don’t bring it up, my stomach was growling! Sure enough, food is the most important thing for the people!

玉兰:幸运,我们找到了一些小吃。你还记得吗?
Luckily we found some snacks. Do you remember?

山:哦,对啊!烟熏三文鱼!
Oh, right! smoked salmon!

玉兰:你知道这是化州特色的小吃吧?
You know this is Washington’s specialty snack, right?

山:我知道,三文鱼对华州的生态,历史和文化来说很重要,再说吃起来真好吃!。
I know. Salmon is very important to the ecology, history, and culture of Washington, and besides, it tastes so delicious!

玉兰:对啊。除了西雅图以外,我也带你去了奥林匹克国家公园看风景。是我最喜欢的地方。
Right. Besides Seattle, I also took you to see the scenery in Olympic National Park. It’s my favorite place.

山:对啊!那是我第一次见到这么自然的环境。那么高的山,那么绿的树,那么安静,连一只老鼠的脚步声都能听见。
Right! That was the first time I saw such a natural environment. The mountains are so high, the trees are so green, and so quiet, you can even hear the footsteps of a mouse.

玉兰:你的家乡没有这样的东西吗?
Your hometown doesn’t have these kinds of things?

山:都没有,我的家乡是上海,人口很多,到处都有快餐店。
None. My hometown is Shanghai, the population is large and fast food restaurants are everywhere.

玉兰:但是上海有高铁。我从来没坐过,听说很方便。
But Shanghai has high-speed rail. I’ve never ridden on it, but I heard it’s very convenient.

山:是的,我很惊讶美国没有高铁。你知道为什么吗?
Yes, I’m surprised the US doesn’t have high-speed rail. Do you know why?

玉兰:那是因为在美国的历史上,很多人一直使用汽车,所以政府并不重视发展火车系统。
That’s because throughout America’s history, a lot of people have always used cars, so the government didn’t pay much attention to developing the train system.

山:恩恩,原来是这样,在美国,开车文化是一个特色。我希望这种做法会改变。
Oh, so that’s the case. Driving culture is a special feature of the United States. I hope this practice will change.

玉兰:我同意。有时开车也可以浪费时间。。。哎呀,别提醒我。
I agree. Sometimes driving can also be a waste of time. . . Jeeze, don’t remind me.

山:好,好, 别生气。肚子饿了吗?
Okay, okay, don’t be angry. Are you hungry?

玉兰:是啊!拍完播客以后,我们一起去吃小吃吧?我请客。
Yes, I am! After we’re done filming the podcast, shall we go get a snack? My treat.

山:一言为定!谢谢你和我一起回忆我们的旅行经历。
It’s a deal! Thank you for reminiscing with me about our travel experiences.

玉兰:别太客气了!谢谢你来!快,我们先给听众朋友一个“下次见!”,再去吃饭吧。
Don’t be so polite! Thank you for coming! Quick, let’s give our audience friends a “see you next time!” and then go eat.

山:好啊!
Okay!

都: 下次见!
See you next time!

Shan Robinson & Maggie Wettergreen

Shan Robinson and Maggie Wettergreen are students in the second year of the Chinese program at WWU. This podcast mock-interview was written as part of a class assignment.

父母管你的教育吗? / Do Your Parents Manage Your Education?

Podcast Audio:

Audio Transcription:

玫芬: 欢迎大家!我是玫芬,今天 我在这儿跟我的同学玉兰,想讲一讲童年教育。
Welcome everybody! My name is Meifen [Maven], and today I am here with my classmate Yulan [Maggie] to talk about childhood education.

玉兰:对,在孩子教育的问题上各个家长有自己的看法。
Yes, every parent has his or her own opinion on the issue of children’s education.

玫芬:不但父母都有不同的意见,而且住的地方和文化也对孩子的童年有影响。
Not only do parents have different opinions, location and culture can also have an impact on children’s childhood.

玉兰:比如说,我们俩都是美国人,但是我是在华盛顿州出生长大的,而你是从中西部来的,对吗?
For example, we are both from the US, but I was raised in Washington and you are from the Midwest, right?

玫芬:对。我小时候,我和我的家庭住在几个地方,但是我在南达科他上中、高中学。
Right. When I was a kid, my family and I lived in several places, but I went to middle school and high school in South Dakota.

玉兰:你的家长管你的教育吗?带你去上课外活动像钢琴,画画儿,游泳,什么的?
Did your parents control your education? Take you to extracurricular activities like piano, painting, swimming, etc.?

玫芬:不完全是。那时候,我主要的重心是念书,把时间都花在学习上。
Not entirely. At that time, my main focus was school and I spent all my time studying.

玉兰:你应该让你的家长很高兴吧。你有什么自己选的兴趣爱好吗?
You must have made your parents happy. Did you have any interests or hobbies you chose yourself?

玫芬:我花了几年学舞蹈,但是那是我自己的兴趣爱好。我父母从来没逼迫我。
I spent a few years studying dance, but it was my own hobby. My parents never pushed me. 

玉兰:我的妈妈带我去参加一些课外活动,但是不太多。比如,弹钢琴、游泳、和骑马。
My mom took me to some extracurricular activities, but not too many. For example, playing the piano, swimming, and riding horses.

玫芬:哇,骑马?很高档的运动。你的家庭很有钱吗 哈哈
Wow, horseback riding? A very fancy sport. Is your family rich? Haha 

玉兰:没有,没有,一点儿也没有。我的阿姨是骑马老师。因为免费,所以我妈妈让我去和她学。
No, no, not at all. My aunt was a horseback riding teacher. Because it was free, my mother had me learn from her.

玫芬:啊,我懂了。听起来那让你不太高兴?
Ah, I understand. Sounds like that didn’t make you very happy?

玉兰:是的。我喜欢马,但是我阿姨太严格了,她让我真讨厌骑马。但是,别的活动还好。我一直喜欢游泳和钢琴。
That’s true. I like horses, but my aunt was too strict, she made me hate riding. But the other activities were ok. I have always enjoyed swimming and piano.

玫芬:无论那时候你喜不喜欢,你觉得学这些东西都是对你现在有用的吗?
Whether or not you liked them at the time,  do you think learning these things will be useful to you now?

玉兰:我觉得是有用的。对一些技能来说,只要知道怎么做就好了。你呢?你希望小时候你的家长让你学过什么吗?
I think it’s useful. For some skills, it’s just a matter of knowing how to do them. And you? Is there anything you wish your parents had taught you when you were a child?

玫芬:有时候,我希望我也有一些这样的技能,但是我很高兴父母让我好好念书,不急着参加课外活动。长大以后,我还可以学新的东西。
Sometimes, I wish I had some of these skills, but I’m glad my parents let me study hard and not rush into extracurricular activities. After growing up, I can still learn new things.

玉兰:不过,有一些东西在小的时候学比较容易。比如,学语言。
But some things are easier to pick up when you’re a kid. Like learning languages.

玫芬:你说的对。如果是那样,现在上中文课当然就比较容易。
You’re right. If that [having studied as a child] were the case, it would certainly be easier to take Chinese classes now.

玉兰:我希望我的家长鼓励我学习其他语言。虽然那时候没有机会学中文,我可能学了西班牙语。那会非常有用。
I wish my parents had encouraged me to learn other languages. Although at that time there were no opportunities to learn Chinese, I could have studied Spanish. That would be very useful.

玫芬:你说的有道理。有时候,不是父母或者孩子的选择。在我的家乡,就没有那么多机会学东西,像别的语言。
You make a good point. Sometimes, it’s not the choice of the parents or the children. In my hometown, there were not many opportunities to learn things, like other languages.

玉兰:那你在高中学什么外语呢?
Then, what foreign language did you study in high school?

玫芬:我的高中提供学生选西班牙语或者法语。我选法语,但是只学了两年因为我不喜欢那门课。
My high school offered students a choice of Spanish or French. I took French, but only studied it for two years because I didn’t like the class.

玉兰:你可以继续自己学习。
You could continue to study on your own.

玫芬:哎,我试了。没有老师,学法文就很难。
I’ve tried. Without a teacher, it’s difficult to learn French.

玉兰:是的,在大学的语言课比高中的更好。但是一些东西不能从书上学的。
Yes, language classes in college are better than those in high school. But some things cannot be learned from books.

玫芬:对,像怎么说得和母语的人一样好、怎么用现代的俚语、成语、什么的。
Right, like how to speak as well as a native speaker, how to use modern slang, idioms, etc.

玉兰:没错,我从玩儿游戏和看电视中学到了不少。
Exactly. I’ve learned a lot from playing games and watching TV.

玫芬:啊,我就知道,把所有的时间都花在看抖音上是教育性的!
Ah, I knew all that time spent on Douyin was educational!

玉兰:对,对,给我们自己一个玩儿的好借口。
Right, right, give ourselves a good excuse to have some fun.

玫芬: 好,时间差不多到了,那我们需要结束这个播客。谢谢你跟我们一起说话。
Okay, the time is almost up, so we need to end this podcast. Thank you for speaking with us.

玉兰:当然没问题,谢谢你请我来。
Of course, no problem, thank you for having me.

都: 再见!
Bye!

Maven Neumiller & Maggie Wettergreen

Maven Neumiller and Maggie Wettergreen are students in the second year of the Chinese program at WWU. This podcast interview was written as part of a class assignment.

孩子上网时间的问题 / The Issue of Children’s Online Time

Podcast Audio:

Audio Transcription:

玉兰: 欢迎大家来到我们的冬学期第一次的播客!我是文玉兰,在这儿跟我们的同学山一起为大家带来节目。
Welcome, everyone, to our first podcast of winter quarter! I’m Wen Yulan [Maggie], here with our classmate Shan to bring you a program.

山: 大家好!我是山。今天的节目是一个有声剧,是关于两个母亲的故事。这两个母亲先在咖啡馆见面。
Hi everyone! I’m Shan. Today’s program is an audio drama about the story of two mothers. First, these two mothers are meeting in a coffee shop.

玉兰:那我们一起来听吧!
Then let’s go listen!

山:好的。
Okay.

******

山:姐,你好!谢谢你跟我见面。
Hi big sister! (t/n: way of addressing older female friends, not necessarily blood related) Thanks for meeting with me.

玉兰:别太客气了!你的孩子怎么样?
Don’t be so polite! How is your child?

山:他有个很严重的问题。
He has a serious problem.

玉兰:真的吗?什么问题?
Really? What problem?

山:他整天从早到晚玩儿游戏。看起来他上瘾了!
He plays games all day long from morning until night. It looks like he’s become addicted!

玉兰:那你要怎么帮助他呢?
So how do you help him?

山:昨天我告诉他,每个星期只能玩儿一个小时。
Yesterday I told him that he can only play for one hour a week.

玉兰:你不觉得有点严格吗?我的两个孩子做完功课以后, 想玩多久就玩多久。
Don’t you think it’s a bit strict? After my two children finish their homework, they can play as long as they want.

山:在网上多久都可以吗?
They can spend as much time online as they want?

玉兰:对啊!但是必须先做完功课。
Yes! But they must finish all their homework first.

山:可是网上垃圾太多。
But there is too much garbage online.

玉兰:我知道,但是我相信我的孩子。
I know, but I trust my kids.

山:我不想让我的孩子受到垃圾的影响。
I don’t want my kids to be exposed to trash.

玉兰:你不可能永远保护他,不管怎么样,他最后自己都会看到那些垃圾信息。
You can’t protect him forever. No matter what, he will eventually see the junk information himself.

山:这个我知道,可是我以为我的规则对他的成绩有好处。
I know this, but I thought my rules would be good for his grades.

玉兰:那,你有什么新情况就告诉我吧。我们可以再讨论讨论。
Then, if you have any new information, please tell me. We can discuss it further.

******

玉兰:这么有意思,这两个人有很不同的想法。
Very interesting, these two people have very different ideas.

山: 但是他们的想法都很有趣。
But their ideas are interesting.

玉兰: 我想知道孩子们怎么想。
I wonder what the kids think.

山:看起来,他们正在网上聊天。
It looks like they are chatting online right now.

玉兰:我们去看看吧!
Let’s go have a look!

******

山:哎呀,我妈让我烦死了。整天唠叨!
Geeze, my mom annoys me to death. Nagging all day long!

玉兰:哦?怎么回事儿,大哥?
oh? What’s going on, bro?

山:我之前的考试成绩是有一点点低的。现在可好了,可她又限制我上网的时间。
My previous test scores were a little low. It’s okay now, but she limits my time online again.

玉兰:又是啊?我记得之前你只能一周玩三个小时,对不对?
Again? I remember before you could only play for three hours a week, right?

山:对啊!但是,她还不知道我可以用邻居的网络。我每天就等她睡觉以后,偷偷上网。
yes! But, she still doesn’t know that I can use the neighbor’s network. Every day I wait for her to go to bed and sneak online.

玉兰:难怪我总是看到你在晚上十一点以后玩游戏。
No wonder I always see you playing games after eleven at night.

山:当然,我一定要得到我的游戏时间,这样才能玩不过瘾啊。
Of course, I must have my gaming time, otherwise I won’t be satisfied.

玉兰:那,你为什么不先学习再玩呢?
Then, why don’t you study first, then play?

山:为什么要? 我整天在学校学习,累都累死了,回家就想休息。
Why should I? I study at school all day long, it’s exhausting. When I get home I just want to rest.

玉兰:有道理。而我,只要我完成功课,成绩没问题,我妈妈不管我上网的活动。
Makes sense. As for me, as long as I finish my homework and my grades are fine, my mom doesn’t care about my online activities.

山:希望我妈妈能这样就好了。 无论我做什么,她老是掌控我。
Wish my mom could be like that. No matter what I do, she always controls me.

玉兰: 真糟糕啊。所以,你明晚想再玩游戏吗?
That sucks. So, do you want to play games again tomorrow night?

山:当然了!
Of course!

******

玉兰:原来这些孩子不太乖。不过,我们可以听到家长和小孩双方不同的意见,真不错。
It turns out that these children are not very obedient. However, it is great that we can hear the different opinions of both parents and children.

山:对对, 这个有声剧很好玩。
Yes, this audio drama is really fun.

玉兰:谢谢你参加我们的播客!
Thank you for participating in our podcast!

山: 不客气!
No thanks needed!

玉兰: 好啊,听众朋友下次见!
Okay, see you next time listeners!

都:再见!
Bye!

Shan Robinson & Maggie Wettergreen

Shan Robinson and Maggie Wettergreen are students in the second year of the Chinese program at WWU. This audio drama dialog was written as part of a class assignment.

选择最好的专业 / Choosing The Best Major

Podcast Audio:

Audio Transcription:

玉兰:大家好,我是文玉兰,我在这儿跟我们的同学任立行。今天我们有不一样的活动:我们将一起辩论一下。
Hello everyone! I’m Wen Yulan [Maggie], here with our classmate Ren Lixing [Dalraj]. Today we have a different activity: we are going to debate a little.

立行: 对, 是的.
Right.

玉兰:那,我们的辩论是关于什么的?
Then, what are we going to debate about?

立行: 今天我们一起辩论的题目是:大学生应该学哪个专业?
Our debate topic today is: What major should college students study?

玉兰:很有意思,可能对一些同学会觉得有帮助。
That’s interesting, maybe some of our classmates will find it helpful.

立行: 你也许是对的。
You may be right.

玉兰:好啊,这是辩论题目:上大学的目的是为了在将来找工作有准备,所以念理工科学院、商学院才是最好的选择。你想辩论哪一方?
Ok, this is the debate topic: The purpose of attending college is to prepare you to find a career in the future, therefore studying in Science and Engineering or Management colleges are the best choices. Which side do you want to argue?

立行: 我的专业是会计, 而且我的父母从印度来的。 他们觉得工程和管理都很厉害。 所以我就会辩论赞成方。
My major is accounting, and also my parents are from India. They think that engineering and management are both great. So I’ll argue for.

玉兰:有道理。因为我会申请创意写作项目的研究生,所以我一定要辩论反对方。
Makes sense. Since I will apply to the graduate school creative writing program, I must argue against.

立行: 好。准备开始吧?
Ok, ready to get started?

玉兰:准备好了!你可以第一个说。
Ready. You can speak first.

立行: 我们都知道工程和管理工作最挣钱。如果你学人文学科, 那将来就少挣钱。有更多钱,我就能过更舒服的生活。
We all know that engineering and management jobs make the most money. If you study humanities, in the future you will make less. Having more money, I can experience a more comfortable life.

玉兰:这个,不见得是真的。为了挣一样多的钱,花在工作上的时间可能并不一样。
I don’t think that’s necessarily true. The amount of time spent working for the same amount of money might not be the same. 

立行: 你说的是什么意思?
What do you mean?

玉兰:理工科和商业管理的工作得长时间工作,常常加班,或者得跟同事一起合作。与这些工作相对,有的人文学科工作的日程比较灵活。有钱可是没有自由,怎么可能有舒服的感觉。
Jobs in science and engineering and business management require long work hours, often working overtime, or require working with colleagues. In contrast to these jobs, some jobs in the humanities have more flexible schedules. Having money but no freedom, how can you feel comfortable?

立行: 将来, 我觉得我在我的法拉利上坐着很舒服. 如果我挣更多钱, 我有更多自由,也可以去轻松度假。
In the future, I think I’ll feel pretty comfortable sitting in my Ferrari. If I make more money, I’ll have more freedom and can go on relaxing vacations.

玉兰:不过,如果你真的喜欢你的工作,而且不会给你太多麻烦,你还需要请假吗?在我看来,有一份可以一直喜欢的事业是最重要的。这样,一辈子可以慢慢挣钱,不用放弃幸福。
But if you really enjoy your job and it doesn’t give you much trouble, would you still need to go on vacation? In my opinion, having a career that you can always enjoy is the most important thing. In this way, you can slowly earn money throughout your life without giving up happiness. 

立行: 但是你需要找到一份你喜欢的工作,人文学科的工作比STEM的工作更难找到。
But you need to find a job you like, humanities jobs are harder to find than STEM jobs.

玉兰:在人文学科的技能很广泛,因此找工作并不像人们以为的那么难。比如说,现在我们在图书馆,图书管理员是人文学科的事业。
Skills learned in the humanities are broad, so finding a job is not as hard as people think. For example, we’re in the library right now, and librarians are a humanities career.

立行: 是的。但是图书馆是工程师做的, 不是图书管理员做的。
True, but libraries are built by engineers, not librarians.

玉兰:可是这所大学一开始是师范学校,教育也是一项人文学科的事业。没有老师、图书馆管理员和作家,就不会有工程师建造图书馆。
But this college was originally a normal school [teacher’s college], and education is also a humanities career. Without teachers, librarians, and writers, there wouldn’t be engineers to build the library.

立行: 行,行,除了图书馆,其他基础设施像路桥、网路、技术,什么的,都是工程师建造的。
Ok, ok, besides libraries, other infrastructure like roads, bridges, networks, technology, etc. are all built by engineers.

玉兰:这些东西是要很多人建造的,不是只是工程师。
It takes many people to build these things, not just engineers.

立行: 最终,工程师还是挣更多的钱。
But in the end, engineers still earn more money.

Maggie: 哎呀,你真麻烦。
Jeeze, you’re really troublesome.

立行: 对不起,我知道。 我们都知道每个人都有各自的意见。
Sorry, I know. We all know everyone has their own opinion.

玉兰:对,虽然理工科事业可能挣很多钱,但是如果你受不了就没用。
Right, although science and engineering careers can make a lot of money, if you can’t stand it then it’s no use.

立行: 比如说, 我的朋友的第一份工作是会计但是他受不了。 后来他换了工作去当DJ,现在他很高兴。
For example, my friend’s first career was accounting, but he couldn’t stand it. Later he changed careers to DJ-ing, and now he’s very happy.

玉兰:就是。好的,谢谢你今天跟我一起辩论。这个活动原来很有意思,很好玩儿。
Exactly. Ok, well thank you for debating with me today, this activity has turned out to be really interesting and fun.

立行: 你也是。 祝你创意写作越来越成功!
You too. I wish you more and more success in creative writing.

玉兰:也祝你会计事业顺利发展! 我们给大家一个”再见“吧。
I also wish you smooth development in your accounting career! Let’s give everyone a “goodbye”.

都:再见!
Bye!

Dalraj Romana & Maggie Wettergreen

Dalraj Romana and Maggie Wettergreen are students in the second year of the Chinese program at WWU. This debate dialog was written as part of a class assignment.

在国外吃中国菜 / Eating Chinese Food Abroad

Podcast Audio:

Audio Transcription:

玉兰:大家好,我是文玉兰,今天我在这儿跟我们的同学晚明花,一起聊聊关于在国外吃中国菜的话题。
Hello everyone, I’m Wen Yulan (Maggie) and today I’m here with our fellow student Wan Minghua (Kaitlyn) to talk about eating Chinese food abroad.

在北京餐馆儿吃饭。
Eating at a restaurant in Beijing, China

明花:没错,旅行的时候,在餐馆点菜很有意思。
Right, when traveling it’s very interesting to order food at restaurants.

玉兰:还有有点儿难,对不对?
And a little difficult, right?

明花:不太难,就是很紧张。
Not too difficult, just nerve-wracking.

玉兰:嗯,我同意。那,听说夏天你跟我们中文系的同学们一起去了中国留学。
En, I agree. Well, I heard over summer you and our Chinese department classmates went to study abroad in China.

明花: 对啊,我跟九个大一和六个大二的中文学生一起去的。头两天我们先跟吴老师和刘老师看看北京,然后就去青岛。我们有五个星期住在中国海洋大学。
Correct, I went with nine freshmen and six sophomore Chinese students. For the first two days, we visited Beijing with Teacher Wu and Teacher Liu, and then went to Qingdao. We spent 5 weeks at Ocean University of China.

玉兰: 在中国,你吃了什么菜?
In China, what kind of food did you eat?

明花: 我吃了很多不认识的东西,哈哈!在北京吴老师和刘老师带我们去一家高级餐厅点了很多食物。去中国以前,我只知道一点中国菜。我吃了很多不知道名字的菜。但是我发现我喜欢炒白菜木耳,而且在离长城很近的餐馆儿,有我很喜欢冰川茄子。味道甜甜的,好吃极了。
I ate many unfamiliar things, ha! In Beijing Teacher Wu and Teacher Liu brought us to a fancy restaurant and ordered a lot of food. Before going to China I knew little about Chinese food. I ate many dishes I didn’t know the names of. But I discovered I like stir-fried cabbage and wood-ear mushrooms, and also, in a restaurant near the Great Wall they had a glacial eggplant I liked.

玉兰: 听起来真好吃。还有呢?
Sounds really tasty. Anything else?

明花: 啊对了,在海洋大学的附近我们常常到小烧烤馆儿或者火锅馆儿吃晚饭。
Oh, right, near Ocean University we would often go to small barbeque or hot pot restaurants to eat dinner.

玉兰:怎么样?合你的口味吗?
How was it? Did it suit your taste?

明花: 菜都太好吃了!但是很多东西是辣辣的。
The dishes were all so delicious! But many things were very spicy.

玉兰: 是吗?你没点比较清淡的吗?
Is that so? You didn’t order something lighter?

明花: 在烧烤馆儿和火锅馆儿服务员常常问我 “你要辣的吗”?每次我都会说 “要,好听啊”。虽然这些菜辣得受不了,但是一直点,因为太好吃的。
At barbecue restaurants and hot pot restaurants, the waiters would often ask me, “Do you want it spicy?” Every time I say “yes, it sounds good”. Although these dishes are unbearably spicy, I keep ordering them because they are so delicious.

玉兰:所以,如果你一辈子只能选一道菜吃,你会选什么?
So, if you could only choose one dish to order for the rest of your life, which would you choose?

明花: 冰川茄子吧!要是我只吃冰川茄子,我的生命会短得很,可是我不在乎我反而会很高兴。
Glacial Eggplant! If I only eat glacial eggplant, my life will be very short, but I don’t care, I will be very happy instead.

玉兰:好,好。
ok, ok.

明花:夏天你也去了国外,对吗?
You also went abroad over summer, right?

玉兰:对。
Right.

明花:去哪儿?
Where did you go?

玉兰:我去了日本。
I went to Japan

明花:啊,听说日本料理很清淡。是真的吗?
Ah, I heard that Japanese cuisine is very light [in flavor]. Is that true?

玉兰:是啊,我觉得比较清淡。他们吃很多鱼,不放太多的盐。菜也不辣。
Yes, I think it’s relatively light. They eat a lot of fish and don’t use too much salt. The dishes are also not spicy.

明花:你喜欢吗?我以为你爱吃辣。
Did you like it? I thought you loved spicy food.

玉兰:就是。我的口味一般很重。可是,我不挑剔。我特别爱吃新鲜的鱼,所以我觉得日本料理也适合我。
Exactly. My taste is usually very strong. But I’m not picky. I especially love to eat fresh fish, so I feel Japanese food also suits me.

在横滨的中国城吃着中国菜。
Eating Chinese food in Chinatown in Yokohama, Japan

明花:那在日本你吃了很多寿司吗?
Then in Japan did you eat a lot of sushi?

玉兰:太多。有一餐我一个人就吃了三十块寿司。
Too much! In one meal I ate 30 pieces of sushi by myself.

明花:不会吧!
No way!

玉兰:  是真的!我可以给你看照片!
It’s true! I can show you pictures.

明花:哈哈,我相信你。那,在日本餐馆儿点菜怎么样?你会说日语吗?
Haha, I believe you. Then, in how was ordering in Japanese restaurants? Do you speak Japanese?

玉兰:  我不会说,就在菜单上指出你想要的,没问题。可是为了练习中文,在横滨的中国城,我也去了一家餐馆儿。
No, I don’t speak it. You just point out what you want on the menu, it’s no problem. But I also went to a restaurant in Yokohama’s Chinatown to practice Chinese.

明花:有意思,你跟服务员聊天吗?
Interesting, did you chat with the waiter?

玉兰:  一点点。我一边说, “我们想点这个,这个,还有这个” 一边指着菜单。后来我问她 “这些菜太多吗?” 还有她说 “不太多。” 买单以后我说,“谢谢您,真好吃的!”
A little. I said “We would like to order this, and this and this” while pointing at the menu. Later, I asked her, “Are these dishes too much?” and she said “not too much”. After paying the bill I said “Thank you, it was very delicious!”

明花:在校外用中文你一定很高兴。
Using Chinese outside of school, you must be very happy.

玉兰: 对啊,非常高兴。
Yes, very happy.

明花:好,好,我们还有想跟大家分享的事吗?
Okay, do we have anything else we want to share with everyone?

玉兰: 没有。就这样。我们下次见!
No, just this. We’ll see you next time!

都:再见!
Bye!

Kaitlyn Bahn & Maggie Wettergreen

Kaitlyn Bahn and Maggie Wettergreen are students in the second year of the Chinese program at WWU. Kaitlyn participated in WWU’s 2023 summer study-abroad program at Ocean University in Qingdao, Shandong Province, China.

认识CCC的领导人们 / Meet the CCC Leadership

Podcast Audio:

CCC的领导人们: 玫芬,爱乐,玉兰
CCC leadership: Maven, Alexa, Maggie

Audio Transcription:

玉兰:大家好!我们是汉语对话社的领导。
Hello everyone! We are the leaders of the Chinese Conversation Club.

玫芬:欢迎收听CCC的第一集交谈录音。
Welcome to the first episode of CCC’s conversation recordings.

爱乐:我希望咱们这个播客可以继续下去。
I hope these podcasts of ours can continue [to be made].

玉兰:没错。今天我们想要介绍一下我们自己,让你们认识CCC的领导人们。谁先说?
That’s right. Today we would like to introduce ourselves and let you get to know the leaders of CCC. Who will go first? 

玫芬:我可以先说。 我是会长, 我叫刘玫芬。
I can speak first. I am the president, my name is Liu Meifen.

玉兰:“会长”的英语意思是什么?
What does “huì zhǎng” mean in English?

玫芬:哦对,意思是 “president”.
Oh right, it means “president”.

爱乐:嗯,还有你的名字怎么写?
En, and how do you write your name?

玫芬:刘备的刘,玫瑰的玫,芬芳的芬。
“Liu” is the same as Liu Bei, “Mei” is from “rose”, “Fen” from “fragrance”.
(t/n: explaining which characters are used in a name by giving examples of common words or famous people that also use those characters)

玉兰:好, 好。我可以第二个说。我是副会长,在英语是 “vice-president”。 叫文玉兰,中文的文,玉兰花的玉兰。你呢?
Okay, I can speak second. I am the “fù huì zhǎng”, or “vice-president” in English. My name is Wen Yulan, the “Wen” is from the word for “Chinese”, and “Yulan” is from “magnolia flower”. And you?

爱乐:我是财务长那是“treasurer”, 我叫爱乐,我爱你的爱,快乐的乐。
I am the “cáiwù zhǎng”, that is “treasurer”, my name is Ai Le, “Ai” from “I love you”, “Le” from “happy”.

玫芬:很高兴认识你。
Nice to meet you!

爱乐:哈哈对啊。我也很高兴认识你。
Haha, right, nice to meet you too!

玉兰:接下来,我们有一些小问题要问你。
Next, we have some quick questions for you.

爱乐:好。
okay.

玫芬:来吧!
Bring it on!

玉兰:你的专业是什么?
What is your major?

玫芬: 我的专业是语言学还有中文
My major is linguistics, and also Chinese.

爱乐:那很酷。现在我的专业是中文。玉兰,你呢?
That’s cool, currently my major is Chinese. And you Yulan?

玉兰:我的专业也是中文,但是明年希望我是英文研究生。其实,现在我是学士后学生。
My major is also Chinese, but next year I hope I will be a grad student in English. Actually, right now I am a post-baccalaureate student.

爱乐:好的,下个问题。你学中文学了多长时间了?还有你为什么学中文?
Ok, next question. How long have you been studying Chinese? And why do you study Chinese?

玫芬:我学中文学了两年左右了。
I have been studying Chinese for about 2 years.

玉兰:真的吗?我也学了两年了。你为什么开始学?
Really? I’ve also been studying for 2 years. Why did you start?

玫芬: 自小以来,我很喜欢学别的语言,但是我不会说的。开始学中文的时候,我觉得很有意思,学中文快速地成我最喜欢的爱好。玉兰,你呢?
Since childhood, I have loved learning other languages, but I couldn’t speak them. When I started learning Chinese, I found it very interesting. Learning Chinese quickly became my favorite hobby. Yulan, what about you?

玉兰:一开始,我只想学新语言。因为我喜欢音乐和唱歌,所以我想学一门有声调的语言,给我自己挑战。
At first I just wanted to learn a new language. Because I like music and singing, I wanted to learn a tonal language to give myself a challenge.

玫芬: 爱乐,你呢? 你为什么开始学中文?
Aile, what about you? Why did you start learning Chinese? 

爱乐:我学中文因为我觉得汉字不但漂亮而且很多汉字有有意思的事。
I learn Chinese because I think Chinese characters are not only beautiful, but also many Chinese characters have interesting matters. (T/N: backgrounds, features).

玫芬:我同意!除了学中文以外,你们还有什么爱好?
I agree! Besides learning Chinese, do you have any other hobbies?

爱乐:除了中文以外。。。我还喜欢看电影和看书!我很喜欢看惊悚片。
Besides Chinese… I also like to watch movies and read books. I really enjoy watching thriller movies (jīngsǒng piàn).

玫芬:惊悚片是 “thriller movies” 对吗?
“Jīngsǒng piàn” is “thriller movies”, right?

爱乐:对。
Correct.

玉兰:哇,很酷。我不喜欢可怕的电影。
Wow, that’s cool. I don’t like watching scary movies.

爱乐:真的吗?那你有什么爱好?
Really? Then what are your hobbies?

玉兰:我的主要爱好是音乐。除了音乐以外,我也喜欢跑步和看书。
My main hobby is music. Besides music, I also like running and reading books.

玫芬:我也很喜欢看书!如果我有空,我总是看书。最近,我学做饭,我觉得那也很有意思。
I also love reading books! If I have free time, I will always read. Recently I’ve been learning to cook. I think that’s also really interesting.

爱乐:做饭是很好的生活技能。
Cooking is a good life skill.

玫芬:是啊。
Indeed.

玉兰:好,最后的问题。 CCC的哪个部分是你最喜欢的?
Ok, last question. Which part of CCC is your favorite?

玫芬:什么意思?
What do you mean?

爱乐:那什么活动呢?
Such as “what activity”?

玉兰: 对啊,比如,看电影,打麻将,书法,绘画。。。我最喜欢看电影,但是教室的椅子不太舒服。。。
Yeah, for example, watching movies, playing mahjong, calligraphy, painting… My favorite is watching movies, although the seats in the classroom are not that comfortable…

玫芬:啊,我同意。我喜欢学书法,但是我最喜欢的部分是跟大家聊聊儿。
Ah, I agree. I like learning calligraphy, but my favorite part is chatting with you all.

爱乐:我最喜欢学书法。很难,可是很有意思。再说书法很美。我希望我们会写书法,我觉得很多人喜欢。
My favorite is learning calligraphy. It’s difficult, but very interesting. Moreover, calligraphy is beautiful. I hope we will write calligraphy, I think many people will like it.

玉兰:你说得对,书法一定是特别的。
You’re right, calligraphy is indeed special.

爱乐:所以,除了看电影和书法以外,参加CCC有什么好处?
So, apart from watching movies and doing calligraphy, what are the benefits of participating in CCC?

玉兰:还有,可以找人帮你做功课。
Also, you can find someone to help you with your homework.

玫芬:对。再说,可以认识新朋友。
Right. Moreover, you can make new friends.

爱乐:没错!好吧,我们下次见!
That’s right! Okay, we’ll see you next time!

都:再见!
Bye!

Chinese Conversation Club Logo

CCC Leadership

Chinese Conversation Club leaders Maven Neumiller (president), Maggie Wettergreen (vice-president), and Alexa Agbayani (treasurer), are students in the second year of the Chinese program at WWU.