Mirror Magazine is looking for your photos, calligraphy, or artwork to feature in our Spring 2024 issue of the magazine! The theme should be related to school life, Chinese culture, or spring time (preferably all three). The winning photo or artwork will appear on the cover of the Spring issue with credit to the artist. Unfortunately we can not offer monetary prizes, but the winner will receive 5 copies of the print magazine to share with family and friends.
Submissions are due by May 13th
Rules:
All entries must be original work or photographs by the entrants.
Content must be appropriate for an academic setting.
No third party may own or control any materials the photo contains, and the photo must not infringe upon the trademark, copyright, moral rights, intellectual rights, or rights of privacy of any entity or person.
By entering the contest, entrants agree that works submitted can be used by Mirror Magazine for print and online content, as well as promotional purposes.
Entries will be judged by Mirror’s editors and WWU MCL faculty. All decisions are final. The magazine reserves the right to disqualify any entry that is deemed inappropriate or does not conform to stated contest rules.
玉兰: 大家好,欢迎来到春学期第一次的播客。 我是文玉兰在这儿欢迎我们的新同学邱文颢。 Hello everyone! Welcome to our first podcast of spring quarter! I’m Wen Yulan [Maggie] here welcoming our new classmate Qiu Wenhao.
文颢:大家好,我是邱文颢。霍邱的邱,中文的文,崔颢的颢。认识你们很高兴! Hello everyone! I’m Qiu Wenhao; “Qiu” as in the province Huoqiu, “Wen” from “Chinese” and “Hao” like Cui Hao. Nice to meet you! (t/n: explaining which characters are used in a name by giving examples of common words, places, or famous people that also use those characters)
玉兰:这次我认为我们可以谈论我们不同的旅行经验。怎么样? This time, I thought we could discuss our different travel experiences. How does that sound?
文颢:可以!听起来好玩儿。 Sure! Sounds fun.
玉兰:你去过哪些国家,城市呢? Which Countries and Cities have you been to?
文颢:我去过中国,主要是北京,香港,和青岛! I’ve been to China, mainly Beijing, Hong Kong, and Qingdao.
玉兰:那,哪个城市是最有意思的? So, which city is the most interesting?
文颢:对我来说,最有意思的是北京。 For me, the most interesting was Beijing.
玉兰:哦,听说北京有很多有意思的景点。是真的吗? Wow, I’ve heard Beijing has a lot of interesting tourist attractions. Is that true?
文颢:是啊!我去了长城,紫禁城,和别的很古老的地方。 It is! I went to the Great wall, the Forbidden City, and other ancient places.
玉兰:很多,哪个给你留下最深的印象? That’s a lot, which left you with the deepest impression?
文颢:长城给我留下很深的印象,因为那里的风景很美。 The Great Wall left me with the deepest impression, because the scenery there is very beautiful.
玉兰:长城这么大,你怎么上去的?需要门票吗? The Great Wall is so big, how did you get to the top? Did you need entrance tickets?
文颢:我们坐了升降椅。我不知道有没有票,因为我参加了旅行团。 We took a chair lift. I don’t know if you need a ticket because I went with a tour group.
玉兰:我们的大学的旅行团,对吗?你们的旅行团团费包括了什么? Our university’s tour group, right? What did your tour group fee include?
文颢:是的。包括了游览北京三天,从北京到青岛的高铁票,然后 在青岛留学五个星期的学费,住宿费。 Right. It included sightseeing in Beijing for three days, the high-speed rail ticket from Beijing to Qingdao, and then five weeks of tuition and accommodations in Qingdao.
玉兰:那在青岛的生活呢?那里的海洋大学的校园怎么样?餐厅的食物好吃吗? Then how about life in Qingdao? How’s the campus at Ocean University? Is the dining hall food good?
文颢:海洋大学的餐厅是非常好的。很便宜,也比西华大的更好吃。 Ocean University’s dining hall is really good. Very cheap, and tastier than at Western’s.
玉兰:有一道最喜欢的菜吗? Did you have a favorite dish?
文颢:我每天吃饺子!一盘是十块钱。 I ate dumplings every day! A plate is 10 yuan.
玉兰:哇! 真的很便宜!其实,我今年夏天也打算去 青岛。关于哪里去,什么做,你有什么建议呢? Wow! Really cheap! Actually, this summer I am also planning to go to Qingdao. Do you have any suggestions about where to go or what to do?
文颢:我建议你去青岛的海边儿。然后,必须去李村的购物中心买东西。 I suggest you go to Qingdao’s seaside. Then, you must go shopping at the mall in Licun.
玉兰:好,谢谢你的建议,我一定会去看一看。 Okay, thanks for your suggestion, I will definitely go take a look.
文颢:你去过什么国家?你最喜欢的是哪一个? What countries have you been to? Which one is your favorite?
玉兰:我已经去过日本,和韩国。要选最喜欢的一个很难回答。因为它们都很棒,但是我觉得日本更有意思。 I’ve already been to Japan and Korea. It’s hard to choose which one I like better because they’re both great, but I think Japan is more interesting.
文颢:为什么? Why?
玉兰:因为我去过日本的一些比较小的城市,人不是那么多,但风景很美,可以让你好好休息。 Because I went to some relatively small cities in Japan. There are not too many people, but the scenery is beautiful; it can let you have a good rest.
文颢:喔,真的?哪一个小城市是你最喜欢的? Oh, really? Which small city is your favorite?
玉兰:一定是一个叫做高山的城市。那里有许多独具特色的传统建筑。 It’s definitely a small city named Takayama. There is a lot of unique traditional architecture there. (t/n: The city name “Takayama“ in Japanese is written as 高山 , which is pronounced “Gāoshān” in Chinese.)
文颢:你是参加旅行团去游览的吗? Did you join a tour group to go sightseeing?
玉兰:没有,我自助游。 No, I traveled on my own.
文颢:喔,很酷啊!你给别的想自助游的游客什么建议? Wow, how cool! Do you have any advice for tourists who want to travel independently?
玉兰:可以,我觉得,去外国旅行时候,千万不要只去大城市和著名的地方,一定要找到更当地的景点。 Sure, I think that when traveling to a foreign country you absolutely must not only go to big cities and famous places, you must find more local attractions as well.
文颢:好的,谢谢! Okay, thanks!
玉兰:好,时间差不多到了。 谢谢你参加我们的播客。 Okay, time is almost up. Thank you for joining our podcast.
文颢:没事儿!谢谢你请我来。 No problem! Thank you for inviting me.
玉兰:当然,我们给 听众朋友一个 “下次见” 吧! Of course, let’s give our listeners a “see you next time”!
文颢:谢谢大家! Thanks everyone!
都:下次见! See you next time!
Nevaeh Qiu & Maggie Wettergreen
Nevaeh Qiu and Maggie Wettergreen are students in the second year of the Chinese program at WWU. This podcast interview was written as part of a class assignment.