父母管你的教育吗? / Do Your Parents Manage Your Education?

Podcast Audio:

Audio Transcription:

玫芬: 欢迎大家!我是玫芬,今天 我在这儿跟我的同学玉兰,想讲一讲童年教育。
Welcome everybody! My name is Meifen [Maven], and today I am here with my classmate Yulan [Maggie] to talk about childhood education.

玉兰:对,在孩子教育的问题上各个家长有自己的看法。
Yes, every parent has his or her own opinion on the issue of children’s education.

玫芬:不但父母都有不同的意见,而且住的地方和文化也对孩子的童年有影响。
Not only do parents have different opinions, location and culture can also have an impact on children’s childhood.

玉兰:比如说,我们俩都是美国人,但是我是在华盛顿州出生长大的,而你是从中西部来的,对吗?
For example, we are both from the US, but I was raised in Washington and you are from the Midwest, right?

玫芬:对。我小时候,我和我的家庭住在几个地方,但是我在南达科他上中、高中学。
Right. When I was a kid, my family and I lived in several places, but I went to middle school and high school in South Dakota.

玉兰:你的家长管你的教育吗?带你去上课外活动像钢琴,画画儿,游泳,什么的?
Did your parents control your education? Take you to extracurricular activities like piano, painting, swimming, etc.?

玫芬:不完全是。那时候,我主要的重心是念书,把时间都花在学习上。
Not entirely. At that time, my main focus was school and I spent all my time studying.

玉兰:你应该让你的家长很高兴吧。你有什么自己选的兴趣爱好吗?
You must have made your parents happy. Did you have any interests or hobbies you chose yourself?

玫芬:我花了几年学舞蹈,但是那是我自己的兴趣爱好。我父母从来没逼迫我。
I spent a few years studying dance, but it was my own hobby. My parents never pushed me. 

玉兰:我的妈妈带我去参加一些课外活动,但是不太多。比如,弹钢琴、游泳、和骑马。
My mom took me to some extracurricular activities, but not too many. For example, playing the piano, swimming, and riding horses.

玫芬:哇,骑马?很高档的运动。你的家庭很有钱吗 哈哈
Wow, horseback riding? A very fancy sport. Is your family rich? Haha 

玉兰:没有,没有,一点儿也没有。我的阿姨是骑马老师。因为免费,所以我妈妈让我去和她学。
No, no, not at all. My aunt was a horseback riding teacher. Because it was free, my mother had me learn from her.

玫芬:啊,我懂了。听起来那让你不太高兴?
Ah, I understand. Sounds like that didn’t make you very happy?

玉兰:是的。我喜欢马,但是我阿姨太严格了,她让我真讨厌骑马。但是,别的活动还好。我一直喜欢游泳和钢琴。
That’s true. I like horses, but my aunt was too strict, she made me hate riding. But the other activities were ok. I have always enjoyed swimming and piano.

玫芬:无论那时候你喜不喜欢,你觉得学这些东西都是对你现在有用的吗?
Whether or not you liked them at the time,  do you think learning these things will be useful to you now?

玉兰:我觉得是有用的。对一些技能来说,只要知道怎么做就好了。你呢?你希望小时候你的家长让你学过什么吗?
I think it’s useful. For some skills, it’s just a matter of knowing how to do them. And you? Is there anything you wish your parents had taught you when you were a child?

玫芬:有时候,我希望我也有一些这样的技能,但是我很高兴父母让我好好念书,不急着参加课外活动。长大以后,我还可以学新的东西。
Sometimes, I wish I had some of these skills, but I’m glad my parents let me study hard and not rush into extracurricular activities. After growing up, I can still learn new things.

玉兰:不过,有一些东西在小的时候学比较容易。比如,学语言。
But some things are easier to pick up when you’re a kid. Like learning languages.

玫芬:你说的对。如果是那样,现在上中文课当然就比较容易。
You’re right. If that [having studied as a child] were the case, it would certainly be easier to take Chinese classes now.

玉兰:我希望我的家长鼓励我学习其他语言。虽然那时候没有机会学中文,我可能学了西班牙语。那会非常有用。
I wish my parents had encouraged me to learn other languages. Although at that time there were no opportunities to learn Chinese, I could have studied Spanish. That would be very useful.

玫芬:你说的有道理。有时候,不是父母或者孩子的选择。在我的家乡,就没有那么多机会学东西,像别的语言。
You make a good point. Sometimes, it’s not the choice of the parents or the children. In my hometown, there were not many opportunities to learn things, like other languages.

玉兰:那你在高中学什么外语呢?
Then, what foreign language did you study in high school?

玫芬:我的高中提供学生选西班牙语或者法语。我选法语,但是只学了两年因为我不喜欢那门课。
My high school offered students a choice of Spanish or French. I took French, but only studied it for two years because I didn’t like the class.

玉兰:你可以继续自己学习。
You could continue to study on your own.

玫芬:哎,我试了。没有老师,学法文就很难。
I’ve tried. Without a teacher, it’s difficult to learn French.

玉兰:是的,在大学的语言课比高中的更好。但是一些东西不能从书上学的。
Yes, language classes in college are better than those in high school. But some things cannot be learned from books.

玫芬:对,像怎么说得和母语的人一样好、怎么用现代的俚语、成语、什么的。
Right, like how to speak as well as a native speaker, how to use modern slang, idioms, etc.

玉兰:没错,我从玩儿游戏和看电视中学到了不少。
Exactly. I’ve learned a lot from playing games and watching TV.

玫芬:啊,我就知道,把所有的时间都花在看抖音上是教育性的!
Ah, I knew all that time spent on Douyin was educational!

玉兰:对,对,给我们自己一个玩儿的好借口。
Right, right, give ourselves a good excuse to have some fun.

玫芬: 好,时间差不多到了,那我们需要结束这个播客。谢谢你跟我们一起说话。
Okay, the time is almost up, so we need to end this podcast. Thank you for speaking with us.

玉兰:当然没问题,谢谢你请我来。
Of course, no problem, thank you for having me.

都: 再见!
Bye!

Maven Neumiller & Maggie Wettergreen

Maven Neumiller and Maggie Wettergreen are students in the second year of the Chinese program at WWU. This podcast interview was written as part of a class assignment.

孩子上网时间的问题 / The Issue of Children’s Online Time

Podcast Audio:

Audio Transcription:

玉兰: 欢迎大家来到我们的冬学期第一次的播客!我是文玉兰,在这儿跟我们的同学山一起为大家带来节目。
Welcome, everyone, to our first podcast of winter quarter! I’m Wen Yulan [Maggie], here with our classmate Shan to bring you a program.

山: 大家好!我是山。今天的节目是一个有声剧,是关于两个母亲的故事。这两个母亲先在咖啡馆见面。
Hi everyone! I’m Shan. Today’s program is an audio drama about the story of two mothers. First, these two mothers are meeting in a coffee shop.

玉兰:那我们一起来听吧!
Then let’s go listen!

山:好的。
Okay.

******

山:姐,你好!谢谢你跟我见面。
Hi big sister! (t/n: way of addressing older female friends, not necessarily blood related) Thanks for meeting with me.

玉兰:别太客气了!你的孩子怎么样?
Don’t be so polite! How is your child?

山:他有个很严重的问题。
He has a serious problem.

玉兰:真的吗?什么问题?
Really? What problem?

山:他整天从早到晚玩儿游戏。看起来他上瘾了!
He plays games all day long from morning until night. It looks like he’s become addicted!

玉兰:那你要怎么帮助他呢?
So how do you help him?

山:昨天我告诉他,每个星期只能玩儿一个小时。
Yesterday I told him that he can only play for one hour a week.

玉兰:你不觉得有点严格吗?我的两个孩子做完功课以后, 想玩多久就玩多久。
Don’t you think it’s a bit strict? After my two children finish their homework, they can play as long as they want.

山:在网上多久都可以吗?
They can spend as much time online as they want?

玉兰:对啊!但是必须先做完功课。
Yes! But they must finish all their homework first.

山:可是网上垃圾太多。
But there is too much garbage online.

玉兰:我知道,但是我相信我的孩子。
I know, but I trust my kids.

山:我不想让我的孩子受到垃圾的影响。
I don’t want my kids to be exposed to trash.

玉兰:你不可能永远保护他,不管怎么样,他最后自己都会看到那些垃圾信息。
You can’t protect him forever. No matter what, he will eventually see the junk information himself.

山:这个我知道,可是我以为我的规则对他的成绩有好处。
I know this, but I thought my rules would be good for his grades.

玉兰:那,你有什么新情况就告诉我吧。我们可以再讨论讨论。
Then, if you have any new information, please tell me. We can discuss it further.

******

玉兰:这么有意思,这两个人有很不同的想法。
Very interesting, these two people have very different ideas.

山: 但是他们的想法都很有趣。
But their ideas are interesting.

玉兰: 我想知道孩子们怎么想。
I wonder what the kids think.

山:看起来,他们正在网上聊天。
It looks like they are chatting online right now.

玉兰:我们去看看吧!
Let’s go have a look!

******

山:哎呀,我妈让我烦死了。整天唠叨!
Geeze, my mom annoys me to death. Nagging all day long!

玉兰:哦?怎么回事儿,大哥?
oh? What’s going on, bro?

山:我之前的考试成绩是有一点点低的。现在可好了,可她又限制我上网的时间。
My previous test scores were a little low. It’s okay now, but she limits my time online again.

玉兰:又是啊?我记得之前你只能一周玩三个小时,对不对?
Again? I remember before you could only play for three hours a week, right?

山:对啊!但是,她还不知道我可以用邻居的网络。我每天就等她睡觉以后,偷偷上网。
yes! But, she still doesn’t know that I can use the neighbor’s network. Every day I wait for her to go to bed and sneak online.

玉兰:难怪我总是看到你在晚上十一点以后玩游戏。
No wonder I always see you playing games after eleven at night.

山:当然,我一定要得到我的游戏时间,这样才能玩不过瘾啊。
Of course, I must have my gaming time, otherwise I won’t be satisfied.

玉兰:那,你为什么不先学习再玩呢?
Then, why don’t you study first, then play?

山:为什么要? 我整天在学校学习,累都累死了,回家就想休息。
Why should I? I study at school all day long, it’s exhausting. When I get home I just want to rest.

玉兰:有道理。而我,只要我完成功课,成绩没问题,我妈妈不管我上网的活动。
Makes sense. As for me, as long as I finish my homework and my grades are fine, my mom doesn’t care about my online activities.

山:希望我妈妈能这样就好了。 无论我做什么,她老是掌控我。
Wish my mom could be like that. No matter what I do, she always controls me.

玉兰: 真糟糕啊。所以,你明晚想再玩游戏吗?
That sucks. So, do you want to play games again tomorrow night?

山:当然了!
Of course!

******

玉兰:原来这些孩子不太乖。不过,我们可以听到家长和小孩双方不同的意见,真不错。
It turns out that these children are not very obedient. However, it is great that we can hear the different opinions of both parents and children.

山:对对, 这个有声剧很好玩。
Yes, this audio drama is really fun.

玉兰:谢谢你参加我们的播客!
Thank you for participating in our podcast!

山: 不客气!
No thanks needed!

玉兰: 好啊,听众朋友下次见!
Okay, see you next time listeners!

都:再见!
Bye!

Shan Robinson & Maggie Wettergreen

Shan Robinson and Maggie Wettergreen are students in the second year of the Chinese program at WWU. This audio drama dialog was written as part of a class assignment.