在国外吃中国菜 / Eating Chinese Food Abroad

Podcast Audio:

Audio Transcription:

玉兰:大家好,我是文玉兰,今天我在这儿跟我们的同学晚明花,一起聊聊关于在国外吃中国菜的话题。
Hello everyone, I’m Wen Yulan (Maggie) and today I’m here with our fellow student Wan Minghua (Kaitlyn) to talk about eating Chinese food abroad.

在北京餐馆儿吃饭。
Eating at a restaurant in Beijing, China

明花:没错,旅行的时候,在餐馆点菜很有意思。
Right, when traveling it’s very interesting to order food at restaurants.

玉兰:还有有点儿难,对不对?
And a little difficult, right?

明花:不太难,就是很紧张。
Not too difficult, just nerve-wracking.

玉兰:嗯,我同意。那,听说夏天你跟我们中文系的同学们一起去了中国留学。
En, I agree. Well, I heard over summer you and our Chinese department classmates went to study abroad in China.

明花: 对啊,我跟九个大一和六个大二的中文学生一起去的。头两天我们先跟吴老师和刘老师看看北京,然后就去青岛。我们有五个星期住在中国海洋大学。
Correct, I went with nine freshmen and six sophomore Chinese students. For the first two days, we visited Beijing with Teacher Wu and Teacher Liu, and then went to Qingdao. We spent 5 weeks at Ocean University of China.

玉兰: 在中国,你吃了什么菜?
In China, what kind of food did you eat?

明花: 我吃了很多不认识的东西,哈哈!在北京吴老师和刘老师带我们去一家高级餐厅点了很多食物。去中国以前,我只知道一点中国菜。我吃了很多不知道名字的菜。但是我发现我喜欢炒白菜木耳,而且在离长城很近的餐馆儿,有我很喜欢冰川茄子。味道甜甜的,好吃极了。
I ate many unfamiliar things, ha! In Beijing Teacher Wu and Teacher Liu brought us to a fancy restaurant and ordered a lot of food. Before going to China I knew little about Chinese food. I ate many dishes I didn’t know the names of. But I discovered I like stir-fried cabbage and wood-ear mushrooms, and also, in a restaurant near the Great Wall they had a glacial eggplant I liked.

玉兰: 听起来真好吃。还有呢?
Sounds really tasty. Anything else?

明花: 啊对了,在海洋大学的附近我们常常到小烧烤馆儿或者火锅馆儿吃晚饭。
Oh, right, near Ocean University we would often go to small barbeque or hot pot restaurants to eat dinner.

玉兰:怎么样?合你的口味吗?
How was it? Did it suit your taste?

明花: 菜都太好吃了!但是很多东西是辣辣的。
The dishes were all so delicious! But many things were very spicy.

玉兰: 是吗?你没点比较清淡的吗?
Is that so? You didn’t order something lighter?

明花: 在烧烤馆儿和火锅馆儿服务员常常问我 “你要辣的吗”?每次我都会说 “要,好听啊”。虽然这些菜辣得受不了,但是一直点,因为太好吃的。
At barbecue restaurants and hot pot restaurants, the waiters would often ask me, “Do you want it spicy?” Every time I say “yes, it sounds good”. Although these dishes are unbearably spicy, I keep ordering them because they are so delicious.

玉兰:所以,如果你一辈子只能选一道菜吃,你会选什么?
So, if you could only choose one dish to order for the rest of your life, which would you choose?

明花: 冰川茄子吧!要是我只吃冰川茄子,我的生命会短得很,可是我不在乎我反而会很高兴。
Glacial Eggplant! If I only eat glacial eggplant, my life will be very short, but I don’t care, I will be very happy instead.

玉兰:好,好。
ok, ok.

明花:夏天你也去了国外,对吗?
You also went abroad over summer, right?

玉兰:对。
Right.

明花:去哪儿?
Where did you go?

玉兰:我去了日本。
I went to Japan

明花:啊,听说日本料理很清淡。是真的吗?
Ah, I heard that Japanese cuisine is very light [in flavor]. Is that true?

玉兰:是啊,我觉得比较清淡。他们吃很多鱼,不放太多的盐。菜也不辣。
Yes, I think it’s relatively light. They eat a lot of fish and don’t use too much salt. The dishes are also not spicy.

明花:你喜欢吗?我以为你爱吃辣。
Did you like it? I thought you loved spicy food.

玉兰:就是。我的口味一般很重。可是,我不挑剔。我特别爱吃新鲜的鱼,所以我觉得日本料理也适合我。
Exactly. My taste is usually very strong. But I’m not picky. I especially love to eat fresh fish, so I feel Japanese food also suits me.

在横滨的中国城吃着中国菜。
Eating Chinese food in Chinatown in Yokohama, Japan

明花:那在日本你吃了很多寿司吗?
Then in Japan did you eat a lot of sushi?

玉兰:太多。有一餐我一个人就吃了三十块寿司。
Too much! In one meal I ate 30 pieces of sushi by myself.

明花:不会吧!
No way!

玉兰:  是真的!我可以给你看照片!
It’s true! I can show you pictures.

明花:哈哈,我相信你。那,在日本餐馆儿点菜怎么样?你会说日语吗?
Haha, I believe you. Then, in how was ordering in Japanese restaurants? Do you speak Japanese?

玉兰:  我不会说,就在菜单上指出你想要的,没问题。可是为了练习中文,在横滨的中国城,我也去了一家餐馆儿。
No, I don’t speak it. You just point out what you want on the menu, it’s no problem. But I also went to a restaurant in Yokohama’s Chinatown to practice Chinese.

明花:有意思,你跟服务员聊天吗?
Interesting, did you chat with the waiter?

玉兰:  一点点。我一边说, “我们想点这个,这个,还有这个” 一边指着菜单。后来我问她 “这些菜太多吗?” 还有她说 “不太多。” 买单以后我说,“谢谢您,真好吃的!”
A little. I said “We would like to order this, and this and this” while pointing at the menu. Later, I asked her, “Are these dishes too much?” and she said “not too much”. After paying the bill I said “Thank you, it was very delicious!”

明花:在校外用中文你一定很高兴。
Using Chinese outside of school, you must be very happy.

玉兰: 对啊,非常高兴。
Yes, very happy.

明花:好,好,我们还有想跟大家分享的事吗?
Okay, do we have anything else we want to share with everyone?

玉兰: 没有。就这样。我们下次见!
No, just this. We’ll see you next time!

都:再见!
Bye!

Kaitlyn Bahn & Maggie Wettergreen

Kaitlyn Bahn and Maggie Wettergreen are students in the second year of the Chinese program at WWU. Kaitlyn participated in WWU’s 2023 summer study-abroad program at Ocean University in Qingdao, Shandong Province, China.

认识CCC的领导人们 / Meet the CCC Leadership

Podcast Audio:

CCC的领导人们: 玫芬,爱乐,玉兰
CCC leadership: Maven, Alexa, Maggie

Audio Transcription:

玉兰:大家好!我们是汉语对话社的领导。
Hello everyone! We are the leaders of the Chinese Conversation Club.

玫芬:欢迎收听CCC的第一集交谈录音。
Welcome to the first episode of CCC’s conversation recordings.

爱乐:我希望咱们这个播客可以继续下去。
I hope these podcasts of ours can continue [to be made].

玉兰:没错。今天我们想要介绍一下我们自己,让你们认识CCC的领导人们。谁先说?
That’s right. Today we would like to introduce ourselves and let you get to know the leaders of CCC. Who will go first? 

玫芬:我可以先说。 我是会长, 我叫刘玫芬。
I can speak first. I am the president, my name is Liu Meifen.

玉兰:“会长”的英语意思是什么?
What does “huì zhǎng” mean in English?

玫芬:哦对,意思是 “president”.
Oh right, it means “president”.

爱乐:嗯,还有你的名字怎么写?
En, and how do you write your name?

玫芬:刘备的刘,玫瑰的玫,芬芳的芬。
“Liu” is the same as Liu Bei, “Mei” is from “rose”, “Fen” from “fragrance”.
(t/n: explaining which characters are used in a name by giving examples of common words or famous people that also use those characters)

玉兰:好, 好。我可以第二个说。我是副会长,在英语是 “vice-president”。 叫文玉兰,中文的文,玉兰花的玉兰。你呢?
Okay, I can speak second. I am the “fù huì zhǎng”, or “vice-president” in English. My name is Wen Yulan, the “Wen” is from the word for “Chinese”, and “Yulan” is from “magnolia flower”. And you?

爱乐:我是财务长那是“treasurer”, 我叫爱乐,我爱你的爱,快乐的乐。
I am the “cáiwù zhǎng”, that is “treasurer”, my name is Ai Le, “Ai” from “I love you”, “Le” from “happy”.

玫芬:很高兴认识你。
Nice to meet you!

爱乐:哈哈对啊。我也很高兴认识你。
Haha, right, nice to meet you too!

玉兰:接下来,我们有一些小问题要问你。
Next, we have some quick questions for you.

爱乐:好。
okay.

玫芬:来吧!
Bring it on!

玉兰:你的专业是什么?
What is your major?

玫芬: 我的专业是语言学还有中文
My major is linguistics, and also Chinese.

爱乐:那很酷。现在我的专业是中文。玉兰,你呢?
That’s cool, currently my major is Chinese. And you Yulan?

玉兰:我的专业也是中文,但是明年希望我是英文研究生。其实,现在我是学士后学生。
My major is also Chinese, but next year I hope I will be a grad student in English. Actually, right now I am a post-baccalaureate student.

爱乐:好的,下个问题。你学中文学了多长时间了?还有你为什么学中文?
Ok, next question. How long have you been studying Chinese? And why do you study Chinese?

玫芬:我学中文学了两年左右了。
I have been studying Chinese for about 2 years.

玉兰:真的吗?我也学了两年了。你为什么开始学?
Really? I’ve also been studying for 2 years. Why did you start?

玫芬: 自小以来,我很喜欢学别的语言,但是我不会说的。开始学中文的时候,我觉得很有意思,学中文快速地成我最喜欢的爱好。玉兰,你呢?
Since childhood, I have loved learning other languages, but I couldn’t speak them. When I started learning Chinese, I found it very interesting. Learning Chinese quickly became my favorite hobby. Yulan, what about you?

玉兰:一开始,我只想学新语言。因为我喜欢音乐和唱歌,所以我想学一门有声调的语言,给我自己挑战。
At first I just wanted to learn a new language. Because I like music and singing, I wanted to learn a tonal language to give myself a challenge.

玫芬: 爱乐,你呢? 你为什么开始学中文?
Aile, what about you? Why did you start learning Chinese? 

爱乐:我学中文因为我觉得汉字不但漂亮而且很多汉字有有意思的事。
I learn Chinese because I think Chinese characters are not only beautiful, but also many Chinese characters have interesting matters. (T/N: backgrounds, features).

玫芬:我同意!除了学中文以外,你们还有什么爱好?
I agree! Besides learning Chinese, do you have any other hobbies?

爱乐:除了中文以外。。。我还喜欢看电影和看书!我很喜欢看惊悚片。
Besides Chinese… I also like to watch movies and read books. I really enjoy watching thriller movies (jīngsǒng piàn).

玫芬:惊悚片是 “thriller movies” 对吗?
“Jīngsǒng piàn” is “thriller movies”, right?

爱乐:对。
Correct.

玉兰:哇,很酷。我不喜欢可怕的电影。
Wow, that’s cool. I don’t like watching scary movies.

爱乐:真的吗?那你有什么爱好?
Really? Then what are your hobbies?

玉兰:我的主要爱好是音乐。除了音乐以外,我也喜欢跑步和看书。
My main hobby is music. Besides music, I also like running and reading books.

玫芬:我也很喜欢看书!如果我有空,我总是看书。最近,我学做饭,我觉得那也很有意思。
I also love reading books! If I have free time, I will always read. Recently I’ve been learning to cook. I think that’s also really interesting.

爱乐:做饭是很好的生活技能。
Cooking is a good life skill.

玫芬:是啊。
Indeed.

玉兰:好,最后的问题。 CCC的哪个部分是你最喜欢的?
Ok, last question. Which part of CCC is your favorite?

玫芬:什么意思?
What do you mean?

爱乐:那什么活动呢?
Such as “what activity”?

玉兰: 对啊,比如,看电影,打麻将,书法,绘画。。。我最喜欢看电影,但是教室的椅子不太舒服。。。
Yeah, for example, watching movies, playing mahjong, calligraphy, painting… My favorite is watching movies, although the seats in the classroom are not that comfortable…

玫芬:啊,我同意。我喜欢学书法,但是我最喜欢的部分是跟大家聊聊儿。
Ah, I agree. I like learning calligraphy, but my favorite part is chatting with you all.

爱乐:我最喜欢学书法。很难,可是很有意思。再说书法很美。我希望我们会写书法,我觉得很多人喜欢。
My favorite is learning calligraphy. It’s difficult, but very interesting. Moreover, calligraphy is beautiful. I hope we will write calligraphy, I think many people will like it.

玉兰:你说得对,书法一定是特别的。
You’re right, calligraphy is indeed special.

爱乐:所以,除了看电影和书法以外,参加CCC有什么好处?
So, apart from watching movies and doing calligraphy, what are the benefits of participating in CCC?

玉兰:还有,可以找人帮你做功课。
Also, you can find someone to help you with your homework.

玫芬:对。再说,可以认识新朋友。
Right. Moreover, you can make new friends.

爱乐:没错!好吧,我们下次见!
That’s right! Okay, we’ll see you next time!

都:再见!
Bye!

Chinese Conversation Club Logo

CCC Leadership

Chinese Conversation Club leaders Maven Neumiller (president), Maggie Wettergreen (vice-president), and Alexa Agbayani (treasurer), are students in the second year of the Chinese program at WWU.